Friday, May 27, 2011

Python project

We're in the middle of a transition at work so I've been without an "official" support case database/tracking solution since the beginning of 2011. I've been keeping a spreadsheet instead with six columns: Date added, University, Contact, Issue, Notes, and Order/RMA number. I don't track when the case is closed (although I'd like to) and I have no priority index (but that would be nice).

Since the start of 2011 I've entered about 300 cases - the "true" number is actually higher because I don't enter in things that are knocked out in one phone conversation. Simple stuff that just involves sending a link to a document or telling someone where a button is doesn't get added because I'd spend half my day updating the spreadsheet! Anything that I have to sit and ponder on or do rigorous recreations of a problem get on the list, and anything that is a brand new problem gets added so that I can remember it if it comes up again.

I wanted to attempt to do some basic metrics like cases per month or per day and I think that I can use Python to do that fairly easily. There are several solutions for reading .xls files and there are certainly some functionality for parsing dates and binning per month/day (and maybe even dumping out an .xls files of this data).

I'll put that on the list for "someday" whenever the apartment mess and wedding stuff gets all handled.... so maybe September 2011? Woof.

No comments:

Post a Comment