Saturday, May 21, 2011

netbook

Today's exercise was done on the Ubuntu netbook while at Ana's mom's house. I brought both the laptop and the netbook and they're using the laptop to do wedding invitation stuff.

The point here is that I forgot how much I like CodeBlocks under Ubuntu. XCode is intimidating and the OSX build of CodeBlocks is known to be a bit wonky. I use XCode anyways but sometimes it does things or adds files to a project and I don't know why. There isn't a project template for "simple uncomplicated console application". Even getting to the console output is two clicks away and oddly decoupled. I've considered going back to the command line but I am getting spoiled on auto-complete and function prototype reminders - especially because the structures involved with the file reader have a dozen or so members and it's hard to remember exact spelling and capitalisation.

Truth be told I'd be better of for having to do things all through the terminal (well I'd use TextWrangler or Notepad++ for syntax highlighting). I suppose what I mean to say is I need to keep it down to a few hand-made files and compiling at the command line. I abandoned that method on the netbook after a while since it wasn't convenient to quickly change one thing and recompile. Might not be as true on the laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment