Sunday, April 3, 2011

Wumpus planning

Since I'm struggling with the graphics element I've decided to work on the game logic part. I also spent the afternoon reviewing some old GTK stuff just to make sure I could pick it up again where I left off.

The game is played on a square grid. The player, the Wumpus, a pit, and a bat live on the grid. The player moves about the grid one space at a time. If he inhabits the same space as the Wumpus he gets eaten. If the player inhabits the same space as the bat he will be transported (by the bat) to a random space. If the player inhabits the same space as a pit he will die.

The Wumpus and the Pit leave clues. Spaces around the pit are "swampy" or colored green. Spaces around the Wumpus are "bloody" or colored red. The caveat (and this varies from implementation to implementation) is that not ALL the spaces surrounding the Wumpus/pit are specially colored.

To win the game you must kill the Wumpus with an arrow. Once you determine (via the clues) where the Wumpus is, you fire an arrow in the direction (up/down/left/right) that the Wumpus is relative to you. In the game I played I think that if you missed the Wumpus would move but the old clues would remain (and new clues would be added, making it more complex). Some games I think missing means the Wumpus knows where you are and eats you.

No comments:

Post a Comment