Tuesday, April 26, 2011

momentum

I've lost a lot of momentum because of how discouraged I got with the monotony of the GTK book chapter I'm on and to a lesser extent the trouble it is to do GTK programming right now.

As things stand I have to either be at my Windows box OR run Ubuntu in VirtualBox on the laptop. OSX doesn't have a decent or complete GTK port.

Do I abandon GTK after getting this far? No. I have some ideas for simple programs I can use at work to help me automate testing.

Do I look for a new library or framework to learn? That's the question. I fell flat on my face trying to find a 2d graphics library to hack out a 2d tile engine for the Wumpus game. I somewhat grudgingly decided to use Cairo when the time came but I swear that nobody uses Cairo and there is very little web traffic of Cairo users.

What about more hardcore CS stuff? Maybe. I'd have to find a really good resource.

What about OOP? I should get familiar with that at some point although it would just put me right back at the spot I am now at some point.

SDL? OpenGL? Processing.org?

The progress I've made the past year was driven by the file reading program and it got me really far. Now that I've accomplished what I set out to do it's critical I find another big seemingly impossible task to tackle.

No comments:

Post a Comment