Wednesday, April 6, 2011

buttons

http://i.imgur.com/EINiN.png

I've done this exercise before, but I need to rehash old topics to get back in the swing of things. I convinced myself (and more or less verified in the documentation) that the container I'm packing the buttons into keeps track of them (the pointer to the button widgets) such that they can be individually "closed" when you click them and the callback function knows which button to remove from the view.

I never really had a firm grasp on g_signal_connect_swapped but it's a good shortcut to sending kill signals to widgets so I roll with it. The API and internet in general isn't any help here, but I never NEED to use it and I haven't run across anyone else's code that has much of it.

Up next in the book is some detail about the order the buttons are packed in (top to bottom, bottom to top, there are functions for both) and some info on resizing the main window and the consequences of the child widgets. THEN it starts into vertical and horizontal dividers and tables. This is especially important since the way I want to lay out the Wumpus UI will require both.

No comments:

Post a Comment