Monday, March 14, 2011

snot bad

I think I rather unintentionally hit a milestone.

So I wrote that program to read in the binary files, but for the most part it was skipping over stuff I didn't know what to do with since each data block header told me how much to skip.

I was idly thinking about it rather quickly banged out the code to give me nice and neatly more data (32 numbers in a row).



It's nice when I go from thought to result in less than a minute and it compiles the first time!

EDIT: Do I use too much indentation? I've always like well indented code but it's tough to embed it...

2 comments:

  1. Huzzah!

    Regarding indentation: I normally set my tab stops to 2-3 spaces and have the editor replace tabs with spaces (to make the code consistent across editors with different tab settings). I also use the following (widely accepted) code formatting style:

    if( something ) {
    type junk;

    for(junk_init;conditions;action) {
    type garbage;
    }

    }

    Putting the braces on a line of their own like you did is also acceptable, but I rarely see indented braces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well poo, my whitespace was stripped.

    I'll defer to this:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prettyprint

    I prefer BSD style, but it looks like you're using GNU style with large tab stops.

    ReplyDelete