Thursday, February 24, 2011

Project Euler 4 WIP

Number Four:

A palindromic number reads the same both ways. The largest palindrome made from the product of two 2-digit numbers is 9009 = 91 × 99.

Find the largest palindrome made from the product of two 3-digit numbers.

Matt gave me some advice about the prime finder that I'm hoping to dig into in March. Work might be hairy for the next few weeks.

Step 1 of problem 4 is making a palindrome detector. I wonder if I can cheat a bit... I know that there are some functions in one of the usual libraries for reversing strings. Can I cast a number to a string and then reverse it? I doubt I'll be able to get any code going until late next week at best. Too tired to think right now.

EDIT: Wikipedia touches on this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primality_tests#Na.C3.AFve_methods

No comments:

Post a Comment