Friday, February 11, 2011

GTK+ 3.0

I was worried that I'd spend months learning GTK and then get blindsided by a new version that would require a whole lot of work to re-learn. Looks like I picked a good time to start learning because the next major release just came out. Nothing looks crazy that would break any of my current knowledge, and it's going to be nice getting in early on it since it's going to be a long time before the next major release that might set me back.

This weekend isn't looking good to get any practice in. I set up a skeleton GTK program with the basics so that I can easily plug in new stuff I learn. The next few things are going to be container widgets (horizontal containers, vertical containers, containers with a movable divider, tables, etc) so my template program has a GtkWindow and the callback function and signal handling to close the program. All I have to do is drop in the new stuff and connect it to the existing GtkWindow. It really saves a lot of time.

I have a strong urge to go back to the other project I was working on that involved reading files from work. There is a new format looming on the horizon and I want to have a strong grasp of the current one before learning about the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment