Monday, January 17, 2011

weekend

I spent a lot of my weekend making boxes appear. I wouldn't say I've learned much about the greater world of GUI programming - I was too busy going "WOO PRETTY BOXES".

Something unexpected did happen. I was confused with something the book didn't go into much detail about, so I looked up the call in the API docs themselves and figured out what I was missing. I didn't realize it until later but that was the first time I had done something like that.

Another thing that took me by surprise is how much I'm relying on GTK to "do the right thing" without me knowing the internals. There are a lot of layers and it's just not practical to know what each one below the calls I'm making does.

I was upset at first about accidentally buying an outdated book, but this book is so much better at filling in the gaps than the updated one. I'm sure I'll be writing about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment