Wednesday, January 12, 2011

project idea

My GTK+ books are on the way. I'll hopefully have them this week.

I have a good idea for a first project that will utilize my knowledge on reading in the files from work. The header of these files contain a user-inputted comment at the time of recording. I want to write a program that will let you open a file and change the comment after the fact in C and GTK+.

This seems like a good first project. I'll need to learn how to use the file opening dialog, and then have a text box that will let you change/add whatever comment is/isn't there, and then press a button that saves a new file.

The file manipulation aspect SHOULD be easy. The header is at the start of the file and is a fixed size. I'll read in the header, allow for the comment array in the structure to be changed, and then I'll write the header to a new file followed by the original file bytes starting at an offset of the header size. I wouldn't need to read in the original file - hopefully I can just stream from point A to point B...

No comments:

Post a Comment