Monday, January 24, 2011

looking ahead

The "Timestamp" program is what got me started on this journey, and it looks like I'm nearing that point of being able to complete it.

I'm on the path to being able to create a UI with buttons going down vertically, with one button on the bottom to "commit" the selected above buttons (each called something different for each thing you want to mark as happened). The last piece of the puzzle that I don't see how to solve is a storage solution. Let's say I have pressed the button for "breakfast" and "had coffee". When I hit "commit" I need to record an entry for "breakfast" and an entry for "coffee" to somewhere. Each entry will have an ID (the name, I guess) and a time.

I first thought of just dumping to a text file. Why not? It's the usual newbie solution to data storage.

The second thing I considered is maybe a SQL database. There are no shortages of how-tos online for this.

The third option that I can't shake is using Twitter as storage. Why couldn't I have an account that consisted of search-able tags that would (by means of how Twitter works anyways) have a time and date associated with it? When I hit "commit" the program would scan through every button and on finding one that was enabled it would submit a Twitter entry then move on to the next until the list was finished.

I did a quick search of C libraries for Twitter, but I'm coming up empty handed. Web stuff is tricky uses acronyms I'm not overly familiar with.

Anyways, I like this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment