Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Good call, Zed.

I got about halfway through Learn Python the Hard Way before I got distracted. I intend to get back into it shortly - particularly for the web programming parts.

There is a chapter called "Advice From An Old Programmer" that I hadn't read until today. One excerpt from this is "Programming as a profession is only moderately interesting. It can be a good job, but you could make about the same money and be happier running a fast food joint. You're much better off using code as your secret weapon in another profession.". I put in bold a sentence that really hit me kind of hard.

I've treated programming as a hobby I might one day (five or ten years from now) turn into a career. Now that I think about it I realize it was a handy tool to have in college, in the lab I used to work in, and in the job I have now. Maybe I can leverage it as my "edge". Maybe everyone should. I've been perpetually bummed that I'm not a programmer or engineer - If I take Zed's advice to heart then maybe I won't have to be anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment