Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The current Python project

So my goal with Python here is to take a spreadsheet I use at work to document support cases and output it into something more readable. The secondary goal is to extract some useful statistics out of it. The second goal was last year's primary goal which got me into Python in the first place, but I've done a lot of the bean counting in Excel itself (an altogether useful lesson but not journal-worthy).

A good start will be a monthly report. The exercise of only performing actions on specific dicts in the list that have a certain value bound to a key is essential - like what if I only wanted to view cases that are X days old, or are are in a particular region? I think I've solved that problem. The next big deal is to take the data in those dicts and format them into something presentable. I'm thinking initially HTML since I know how to do tables in that and in my security camera project I intermixed variables with static text. If I'm brave I might try converting the dicts to XML for the sake of learning XML, but we'll see. I'm dancing the fine line between hobby project and work.


No comments:

Post a Comment