Tuesday, November 30, 2010

application contemplation

It's getting to be time for me to apply what I've learned. I am confident in my grasp of flow control (loops, etc) and I'm at a reasonable level of understanding of how variables of all types work in and out of functions (with the exception of the more esoteric aspects of floating point numbers).

So what to do?

First I'm going to complete what I started with the .plx file loader. I have our sample implementation to guide me so it's really like re-writing an essay in my own works.

I had wanted to write a Lunar Lander clone, but I'm worried about getting bogged down in the graphics aspect. I will at least spend a weekend of free time exploring OpenGL but I'm not sure how "straight C" friendly it is. I found this, however: http://www.opengl.org/resources/code/samples/glut_examples/examples/examples.html

Beyond that, I'm looking for a challenge that will force me to learn some of the more advanced data structures like stacks and linked lists and trees that I keep coming across. I can understand (at least superficially) what they are, but not when they are meant to be used.

Obviously I want to step into GUI-land at some point, but I won't feel like I've earned it until I do a good solid "final exam" problem in console-land.

And no, writing a blackjack clone doesn't count.

No comments:

Post a Comment