Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Looking back at the security camera program

The Python+OpenCV program I wrote last summer is pretty handy.

http://chrislearnsc.blogspot.com/2011/03/added-timing.html

I use a modified version of that to take a picture every time I boot my laptop.

If I can find a way to get webcam images without using OpenCV I'd like to flesh the program out a bit and maybe add more options (command line or GUI with PyGTK). It's necessary to get away from OpenCV because it's serious overkill for just grabbing webcam images. Also, it's horrifying to install - it took me weeks to get it to work on my laptop and if it ever broke I wouldn't know where to start. I think that there are handy ways of grabbing webcam frames in Linux, but I don't know about OS X or Windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment